Aluminum Siding: horizontal planks of aluminum with a baked-on enamel finish


Battens: narrow strips of wood placed over joints in vertical wood plank siding to seal the joints
Backerboard: any flat material fastened to the side of a house between the studs and siding to provide a surface to attach siding to.
Beveled: clapboards that are tapered rather than cut rectangular
Brick ties : accordion-type metal fasteners used to attach a brick veneer to the wood framework of a house
Brick veneer: a wall construction method in which a layer of bricks is attached to the wood framework of a house using brick ties
Buttlock: located on the bottom edge of a vinyl panel which locks onto the previously installed panel


Caulking: waterproof material used to seal joints at intersections of building components, used with some types of siding
Channel : the area where siding and soffit panels are attached to the trim or corner post. Also refers to the trim itself, which is named for the letters of the alphabet they resemble (J-channel, F-channel, etc).
Checking: a crack or split showing along the grain in wood plank siding as a result of cupping
Clapboard: overlapping, horizontal wood plank siding made from either rectangular planks or taped planks
Composition board: siding that is made of weather resistant, compressed wood material
Course: row of siding material
Cupping: a warp across the board in wood plank siding


Detachment : separation of the siding material-veneer or stucco- from its attachment to the house
Double course: an undercourse of shingles or shakes, not exposed to the weather, is covered completely by a new application of siding


Face: a portion of the vinyl panel that is visible once the vinyl is installed
Flashing: a layer of sheet metal used at intersections of building components to prevent water penetration, flashings are commonly used above doors and windows in exterior walls and are used under the siding to prohibit water penetration


Gable: the upper portion of a sidewall that comes to a triangular point at the ridge of a slanted roof
Gable Vent: a vent placed in the gable of a home that increases air flow to the attic, thereby reducing heat and moisture buildup.


J-channel : a manufacturing component of vinyl or aluminum siding systems which have a curved channel that the planks fit into, used around windows and doors to make a weathertight seal


Lap: the overlapping of two siding panels to allow for expansion or contraction of the siding material
Lintel : a steel angle iron or beam over window and door openings that spans the opening and transfers the weight of the masonry to the sides of the opening


Milled planks: various cuts of plank siding, including V-groove, channel, rabbeted bevel, shiplap and drop

Moisture permeable: a surface that allows moisture to pass through it


Nailing Hem: the section of siding where the nail slots are located.


Overhang: the portion of the roof that extends beyond the walls of a home. The soffit or eave is the underside of an overhang.


Panel Projection : the amount that a panel of vinyl sticks out from the wall
Plywood siding: plywood sheets that have grooved or decorative outer surfaces


Scoring: the process of running a sharp object, such as a utility knife, across a siding panel without cutting all the way through. The panel can then easily be broken off cleanly along the line of scoring.
Scarfed joint: joint used in plywood siding where edges of abutting sheets are angle cut to fit snugly and prevent water penetration
Shiplap : a style of milled plank, used in siding, that is laid close enough so as to appear to be butted

Single course: wood shingles or shakes applied where each course is exposed to the weather
Soffit: the finished underside space between the end of the roof and the side of a home or eaves
Spalling: crumbling and falling away of bricks, concrete or blocks
Square: a measurement that equals 100 square feet of siding.
Stucco : a type of water resistant, plaster like siding material made of cement, sand and water; it may have an acrylic finish


T & G : tongue and groove, a connection system between components, like wood, in which the tab or tongue of one board is placed into the grove of the following board.


Vinyl siding : plastic siding that comes in a variety of colors and styles and is virtually maintenance free.
Veneer: veneer is one ply or one thickness of something; in siding there are brick and stone veneers, there are also veneers of one wood bonded to another


Wall cladding: another term for siding
Wall sheathing: sheets of plywood or wood planking used to cover the wall framework of the house
Weep Holes : openings cut into a siding material to provide for water runoff.
Windload Pressure: is a measurement of how well a panel might perform in high wind areas
Wire mesh: a mesh attached to the wall sheathing and studs used to anchor a stucco base coat to the wall
Wood plank siding: rectangular wood planks that can be installed horizontally or vertically
Wood shakes: thick, rough, uneven shingles that hand split, split and sawn on one side, or sawn on both sides that can be used as siding

Wood shingles: shingles that are made of wood that are sawn to emanate uniform thickness